This position will sit within the SVB Loan Syndication Team in Palo, Alto CA and work in close partnership with the Energy and Resource Innovation (“ERI”) Banking team and will:
• Support senior leaders in the negotiation of large, syndicated loan transactions in conjunction with the Project Finance relationship management teams. Make recommendations on terms and conditions in order to win the business and execute a successful syndication.
• Manage inter-Bank relationships, including legal documentation (participation and/or intercreditor agreements).
• Create deal memos / deal books for lead-bank transactions. Manage transaction sites and information flow to participant banks.
• Support the management of existing agented transactions to ensure all Lead Bank duties are fulfilled and customer experience is exceptional.
• Support calling on other banks to determine deal interest and supply/demand in the marketplace. Decide on best banks to execute with based on prior experience, market knowledge and analysis of counterparty risk.
• Adheres to compliance procedures and internal/operational risk controls in accordance with any and all applicable regulatory standards, requirements, and policies.
• Play integral role in the mentorship and training of junior team members to help ensure cross training and strong long term platform build out. #LI-BR1
Skills and Requirements:
This position will be responsible for:
• Evaluating new customer relationships to determine SVB’s ability to lead transactions and manage overall underwriting/market risk.
• Providing market analysis & underwriting risk commentary on structure and pricing to relationship teams and credit risk teams.
Support selective loan participations.
• Meet with current and prospective customers to discuss loan syndication opportunities and strategy.
• Managing and administering the bank agency role on existing loan transactions. Ensures all agency duties are performed including communication and document distribution.
Ideal candidate profile:
• The successful candidate will be a domain expert in Project Finance with familiarity and experience in the financing both debt and tax equity structures.
• Experience in the solar sector is key with experience in other energy sectors a plus.
• The ideal candidate will have five to seven years of experience in a corporate and/or business entity related to Investment Banking and Credit.
• The person in this role will work closely with the relationship team to analyze and understand project construction budgets and risk, evaluate power purchase agreements, and other contacts, and assess the financial viability of power projects. Direct project financing is a must with equal experience in tax equity transactions or complimentary exposure to tax equity structures.
• Deep understanding of project finance legal documentation and proven ability to negotiate complex transaction.
• This is a creative, client facing role in which polished presentations skills will be equally as important a deep credit skills and technical industry expertise.
• An absolute must is the ability to balance work well among various banking teams, syndications, clients, credit risk managers, and portfolio managers.
• Experience in the role of Lead Arranger for syndicated project finance credits is critical.
• The ideal candidate will quickly establish credibility on all fronts and will have the energy, knowledge and drive to serve as a thought leader within a rapidly growing business for SVB.
Strategic Thinking Skills:
Innovative; handles complexity and issues quickly.
Highly organized and able to multi-task in an environment of change.
Understands business issues and the ability to translate into effective action.
Ability to make key recommendations and decisions.
Ability to interact with members of senior management, executives and other staff members in a positive manner.
Exceptional interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. Proven presentation skills.
Develops strong and effective relationships with all areas across the organization.
Ability to influence others and win support on critical issues.
Highly developed written and verbal communication skills.
Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics, Business Administration, or relevant experience; Advanced degree a plus – i.e. MBA, MS or LLM degree
Five to seven years relevant work experience in project/structured finance, portfolio management and agency work with a financial institution.
Advanced PC software (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.) skills necessary for modeling contractual and technical parameters, and performing sensitivity analysis as well as to prepare internal reporting
© 2015 SVB Financial Group ®
Member Federal Reserve System · Member FDIC · Member Nasdaq: SIVB