For more than 30 years, Silicon Valley Bank has helped innovators and their investors move bold ideas forward, fast. Today, we provide a full range of banking and financing services to businesses of all sizes in innovation centres around the world. SVB Financial Group, the parent company of Silicon Valley Bank, has had a presence in the UK since 2004. The bank is committed to supporting disruptive technology and life science businesses within the UK’s vibrant innovation sector, including The Foundry, Made.com and ECI Partners.
SVB Financial Group has approximately 2000+ employees in 15 US states, $40 billion in assets, and serves entrepreneurs around the world through its 28 offices in the United States and international operations in the UK, Ireland, Israel and China.
SVB has built a culture based on five core values: being enterprising, ethical, driven, dedicated and united. Both internally and with our clients, we value professionalism and emphasise its importance in communication, responsiveness and approach.
SVB’s singular focus on technology and life science businesses and the venture capital and private equity firms that serve them, the breadth of the services it provides to its clients, its global growth strategy, and its core values create a unique and satisfying environment for members of the team.
The UK Risk & Compliance function covers all matters related to regulatory compliance and risk management as the second line of defence for the UK branch of Silicon Valley Bank. The function also provides support to the future development of SVB in EMEA including our presence in Ireland and Israel.
The Director, UK Risk Management (“Director”) is a newly created role within the UK Risk & Compliance function focused on our risk management framework and program. The role will report to the Chief Risk Officer and be part of the leadership team of the UK Risk & Compliance function. They will also be expected to work with risk colleagues based in other locations, including California, both on the continued development of our risk management program and on projects where risk input is required.
As well as supporting the risk management program and associated reporting, they will be expected to collaboratively with the first line, providing commercial advice on a wide variety of risk matters and support the continued strengthening of our first line of defence. They will understand commercial banking in depth and risk across all risk types with particular strength in operational risk.
The role will likely be a Certified Function under the Senior Managers Regime.
The Director will be responsible for, working in close coordination with the US where appropriate, the following:
• Maintenance and update of the UK risk management framework and programme
• The quarterly risk report for the UK
• Maintenance and reporting on key risk indicators
• Completion of the top risk report and supporting documents
• Creating and carrying out a regular review programme for the Senior Manager Risk Dashboards
• Embedding and evolving the three lines of defence programme
• Maintaining appropriate risk scoring matrices
• Ensuring appropriate UK risk governance and oversight structures
• Risk training and communication
• Representing the UK Risk & Compliance function on projects
#LI-SW1Skills and Requirements:• Work experience: relevant risk management experience, ideally from a banking environment and from the second line. Experience with operational risk would be an advantage although a broad understanding across all risk types is also required
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education
• Strong judgement and critical thinking skills
• Ability to synthesize complex information effectively
• The ability to work independently and challenge effectively
• The ability to build strong relationships and partner effectively with key stakeholders
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
• An ability to quickly gain a thorough knowledge of SVB’s bank operations and products
The individual should have an entrepreneurial, collaborative approach and a flexible style that allows for the input of others. They must share the core values of SVB and be focused on achieving the best outcome for the organization versus individual achievement. They must have a proven track record of delivering results.
© 2015 SVB Financial Group ®
Member Federal Reserve System · Member FDIC · Member Nasdaq: SIVB