SVB Capital seeks to recruit a Principal to expand and lead the firm’s fund of fund investing platform. This hire will be a critical role for continued expansion of the firm’s product set and investment capabilities. This Principal will contribute to building SVB Capital’s capability and reputation in the marketplace and leverage upon past established investing experience, to help supplement the firm’s sourcing and execution capabilities. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to gain invaluable experience working with top-tier venture capital partnerships, utilizing SVB’s proprietary data to perform quantitative due diligence, partnering with internal SVB stakeholders to apply the value of the SVB platform to assessing and accessing top venture fund opportunities as well as a manage a team of high performing less tenured investment professionals. This candidate should be committed to the firm’s continued long-term success, while working as a highly collaborative team player.
The responsibilities of the successful candidate will include and not be limited to:
• Undertake portfolio evaluation and analysis for a stable group of venture capital managers and funds.
• Establishing and leading the origination/sourcing process especially around emerging/breakout managers.
• Prioritizing, evaluating, and underwriting new investment opportunities.
• Transaction management-leading or co-leading the team which will execute the negotiation and documentation of new investments.
• Contribute to overall investment strategy, investment selection and recommendation, as well as performance monitoring and measurement of investment programs.
Post-investment Monitoring & Support
• Participating in the ongoing management and monitoring of both the financial and operational aspects of fund investments and regular reporting to LPs and investment partners.
• Being a leader and a mentor to junior investment team members.
• Being a creative thinker and approach investments in a flexible manner with a solutions-oriented mindset and a risk-adjusted return understanding.
• Provide support to the marketing team relating to private capital programs, and have the capability to present the firm and its full capabilities to staff and trustees of client institutions.
• Continue to uphold and enhance the firm’s culture of strong collaboration, hard work, intellectual agility and low-ego.
Skills and Requirements:The successful candidate will have a minimum of 6-10 years of principal investing experience within the private capital space.
The successful candidate will likely have many of the following qualifications:
• Six to ten years of private capital or similarly relevant investment experience preferred; if candidate does not have private capital experience then experience in a closely related field is required
• Interest in and background relevant to fund investing.
• Demonstrable track record of success with investments from origination to exit.
• Significant experience and interest with industry sectors of interest to SVB Capital namely technology, and other related industries connected to the innovation economy.
• Ability to deeply and thoroughly analyze and dissect emerging fund managers; i.e. understanding the components and drivers of success beyond the financials.
• Presence, self-confidence and diplomacy skills to interface with the key stakeholders including management teams, deal sources, co-investors, financing sources, limited partners, service providers, etc.
• Entrepreneurial orientation but with a demonstrated ability to be a team player.
• A pattern of excellence, both personally and professionally, demonstrated by the individual’s education, career track record, intellect, and professional reputation.
• Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills, as well as the ability to interact effectively with LPs.
• Extraordinarily strong quantitative analytical skills.
• Experience managing a team of less experienced professionals to produce high quality work in an environment with constantly evolving priorities
• Self-awareness, maturity, and irreproachable integrity.
An undergraduate degree is required; an advanced degree is preferable.
© 2015 SVB Financial Group ®
Member Federal Reserve System · Member FDIC · Member Nasdaq: SIVB