The London Life Science & Healthcare team manages the Bank’s existing client relationships with life science organisations in the UK and Europe. The team is responsible for structuring debt facilities for new prospect companies and also plays an active role in the industry through its relationships with Venture Capital, Private Equity funds and the advisory community. The team covers a broad range of transactions and business profiles from growth stage, pre-revenue, venture-backed companies to mid-market, private and publicly listed corporates. Whilst managed from the UK, the team is very much global and there are frequent touch points to the US, Israel and China. A critical part of the team’s role is to focus on added-value to clients, beyond core banking and lending services.
The UK team has enjoyed considerable growth in recent years with increasing demands for its services from a range of exciting new biotech, device, digital health and pharmaceutical companies, and is looking to hire.
The Director role is responsible for managing relationships in the Life Sciences sector and is expected to take a leading role in originating deals & working with the bank’s life science clients to provide value through our research, network and insights. They will work with referral sources, prospects, and clients, both independently and in a team capacity, to grow SVB’s presence and brand in the Life Sciences ecosystem.
• Support the Head of UK Life Sciences in further establishing the brand with leading companies and investors in business development activities
• Anticipate client needs and manage client concerns with internal operations and product groups. Be able to engineer complex and creative solutions to client needs.
• Work proactively to develop value-add solutions that go beyond banking and lending products
• Help define and execute against a business plan to drive the growth of the loan book and overall client base from a business development perspective. Develop and maintain a network in the business community and develop referral sources. Selectively participate in networking events to support business development and brand in the market.
• Lead and own the entire process for a deal from start-to-finish. Exercise due diligence, underwrite complex credits; negotiate all loan documentation, with support from Associates & VP’s. Negotiate warrants independently. Develop renewal and prospective term sheets independently.
• Proactively identify cross-selling opportunities across the entire SVB products and services platform.
• Serve as a mentor and leader for Associates
#LI-SW1Skills and Requirements:• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent related experience.
• Strong financial / analytical acumen
• Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
• Strong client relationship skills with a desire to develop trusted relationships.
• An interest in the life sciences sector
Combination or excel individually in the following:
• Knowledge of SVB bank operations and products.
• Strong credit analysis, financial modelling, structuring skills and a good understanding of loan documentation.
• Life sciences sector network
The role would suit an experienced banker or investor with an interest in life sciences and innovation. We would also encourage individuals with a wider background in finance and strong interest in life sciences to apply.
© 2015 SVB Financial Group ®
Member Federal Reserve System · Member FDIC · Member Nasdaq: SIVB