Title: Senior Engineer - Systems
Job Type: Permanent
Provide customer facing systems engineering/problem resolution support functions for systems, storage, and backup incidents in accordance with the Sungard Availability Services incident management process. This involves alarm monitoring validation and triage, initial troubleshooting of managed systems services, and support of all production services for internal and external Sungard Availability Services customers. As Sungard Availability Services is a premier service provider of managed services, engineers will be responsible for service event investigations, classification and service restoration activities.
- Technical professional with strong technical aptitude who wants to increase technical knowledge.
- Wants to work in a fast pace yet fun environment.
- You are a hardworking, competitive type that is driven to succeed.
- Self-starter with a reputation for being an effective change agent.
- Provide world-class customer support and technical expertise for Sungard Availability Services customer environments, including administration and support for operating systems, virtualization platforms, tape backup, and disk storage.
- Primary responsibility is to provide Tier III level break/fix Incident Management support for escalated customer outages by utilizing experience, skills, education and training to provide timely restoration of services.
- Assemble and update documentation in the form of Incident, Change and Problem Management tickets.
- Verify validity of alarms and follow triage/resolve troubleshooting procedures as outlined.
- Work with remote locations on verification and resolution of alerts/alarms.
- Follow outlined procedures for customer notification and escalation.
- Identify chronic problems and take action to identify and resolve the root causes.
- Review logs and performance reports for emerging problems and initiate preventive action.
- Perform root cause analysis on systems related problems.
- Perform changes on managed customer-dedicated environments to restore service or provide problem resolution.
- Manage incidents and engage additional internal teams and external vendors as required.
- Review systems requirements and engineering concerns associated with customer requests such as, equipment configuration and operational impact.
- Maintain technical expertise and required industry certifications and stay current with new and emerging technologies.
- Minimum 5-10 years industry experience in a production support role for a large enterprise or service provider environment performing fault analysis using common troubleshooting tools.
- 5-10 years of Windows Server operating systems, including the following:
- Windows Server
- Windows Clusters
- Active Directory
- Network configuration -
- IP addressing
- SAN Connectivity
- Experience with scripting and automation (sh/bash/ksh/python/etc).
- Strong Working knowledge of storage and backup technologies (EMC, Netapp, NetBackup).
- SNMP and monitoring tools experience (HP OMI, SystemEdge, Netsnmp).
- Working knowledge of other Unix based operating systems (Solaris, RHEL, AIX).
- Working knowledge of ESX/VMWare -
- VSphere vCenter
- Site Recovery Manager
- Ability to facilitate discussions to resolve technical issues with multiple teams.
- Strong customer service and communications skills (written and oral) are required.
- Solid operational support experience and technical troubleshooting skills.
- Working knowledge of networking standards and device connection troubleshooting.
- Working knowledge of Symantec End-Point Protection and ability to troubleshoot and remove a virus.
- Ability to effectively use diagnostic tools.
- Ability to learn and respond to demands in a fast-paced, highly technical environment and to manage multiple projects and responsibilities.
- Ability to effectively work in a team environment as well as independently.
- Good organizational, time management and service delivery skills.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- B.S. Degree, Computer Science or similar engineering degree or equivalent work-related experience.
- MCSE or RHCSE certification.
- Completion or progress towards higher level VMware certifications such as VCP, VCAP, Data Design and Data Center Admin.
- Sungard Availability Services offers a high growth environment with excellent compensation and immediate eligibility for our 401(k), health/dental insurance, educational assistance, and more. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the background investigation and pre-employment drug screen.
- Sungard AS is an equal opportunity employer.
- The Ability to meet the physical demands of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sungard Availability Services offers a high growth environment with excellent compensation and immediate eligibility for our 401(k), health/dental insurance, educational assistance, and more. Sungard AS is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
- Ability to meet the physical demands of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the background investigation and pre-employment drug screen.