Area and Site: Philadelphia-PA Thornton-CO
Title: Engineer II - Systems
Job Type: Permanent
Location: Philadelphia-PA or Thornton-CO
The Managed Services & Technologies Lifecycle Management Team is part of the Service Design and Realization group (SD&R) within Sungard Availability Services. The group is responsible for implementing, supporting and maintaining complex Windows and VMWare ESX platforms across Europe and the Lifecycle Management of Managed Services and Technologies globally. This covers customer dedicated solutions, Sungard AS’s range of Cloud Platforms including G-Cloud accredited Cloud platforms.
This is a primarily an engineering role, while also providing escalation for our global Technical Operations Centre and Change & Implementation teams and expert execution against AS's defined lifecycle management policies. Activities covered by the role include Design, Implementation of complex deals, Configuration, Support and Administration of our customers Physical and Virtual environments. The team are responsible for the Management, Availability and Lifecycle of Sungard AS’s Enterprise Cloud, Private Cloud, Public Cloud and G-Cloud* Platforms. *UK based Engineers only
The Windows/VMWare Systems Engineer’s work closely with Sungard AS’s other technical support teams within SD&R, other AS Operational Teams, Solutions Architects, Pre-Sales, Professional Services Group, Project Management and Product Management & Engineering Teams to ensure design and delivery of highly available solutions.
A good standard of Networking and Storage knowledge is important in this role to assist in design, build and troubleshooting the virtual infrastructure.
Engineers are required to monitor and evolve all standards, policies and procedures utilised within the Management of Production environments.
- OS Management Services
- Provide Support for Internal and External customer Server & Operating System environments both Cloud based and Physical Server environments. Includes day to day management, support, implementation and lifecycle tasks for UK Secure Cloud and customers who require on-shore services. responding to alerts, upgrades, request for change maintenance. Escalation for L1-L2 support engineers.
- Management of Sungard AS Hosted Cloud Services
- Maintain underlying platform (Hardware and Hypervisors) across AS’s range of cloud platforms, monitor performance and capacity. Stand up additional capacity to existing and stand up new platforms as services evolve to meet market demand.
- Deployment and Management of Sungard AS’s Managed AWS Services
- Deploy and Maintain Customer AWS infrastructure, monitor performance, capacity and backups. Stand up additional resources as required and maintain as services evolve to meet market demand.
- Lifecycle Management of Operating Systems Management Services
- Maintain Supported Products Matrix by testing AS’s toolset against new Operating Systems and Hardware for use by Pre-Sales, SA’s and Sales globally.
- Design and Implementation
- Assist Solutions Architects and Pre-Sales team with new business opportunities and participate as required in the Technical Design Review process as required. Implement agreed solutions in line with design and project plan alongside other technical teams ensuring install follows SunGard best practice, is fully documented and presented to your fellow team members.
- Lifecycle Management of Dedicated Customer Solutions
- Developing and evolving engineering best practices from architecture through to design, monitoring and maintaining our customer dedicated solutions, maximising Availability for AS’s customers.
- Scripting and Automation
- Identify areas where automation can be developed and enhanced to streamline regular or large scale activities across internal systems and customer managed systems. Test and document before release.
- Professional Services
- Working alongside the AS Consultancy team, participate in projects within your expert area as required across both Managed Services and Recovery Services.
- Service Delivery Best Practices & Enhancements
- To develop a good understanding of the delivery of Sungard AS’s Managed and Recovery Services Portfolio and to advise and implement improved practices & enhancements as applicable.
- Documentation, Process and Training
- To create high quality technical documentation for all shared and dedicated platforms implementations and other technical projects. Create and test process and procedures and provide training to colleagues where appropriate.
- Ticket Management
- Ensure all tickets assigned to you are updated in a timely manner. Tickets status to be updated to reflect progress from start to finish. Ensure all tickets are closed with a high level of detail to record actions taken for reference purposes.
- Professional Approach
- Represent the team, department and organisation in professional manner at all times.
- Compliance to security policies and other company related policies & procedures are an integral part of employment with Sungard AS.
- Ensuring data protection is maintained and information is made available on a need to know basis.
- Active involvement in the prevention of unauthorised access and damage to information.
- Report security weaknesses and incidents appropriately to relevant personnel including the Security function in a timely manner.
- Note: This is a generic summary of responsibilities and tasks relating to the role. Details are included in an individual work plan.
- Completion of secondary school education.
- GCSE English or Equivalent (Written and Spoken).
- VMWare VCP (vSphere4/5/6).
- Windows 2008/2012/2016 Certifications.
- Experience of working with Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Commercial experience gained within a Managed Service Provider / High Availability enterprise production environment covering both Physical and Virtual environments.
- AWS Certifications (Architect and/or SysOps).
- Red Hat RHCT or equivalent.
- Scripting Experience (various).
- ITIL – IT Service Management.
- Basic understanding of Network Administration.
- Basic understanding of Storage and Storage Administration.
- Working knowledge of managing and monitoring HP Proliant, Cisco UCS, IBM X and Dell PowerEdge servers.
- Knowledge of servers backup & recovery process & tools.
- Performance management, troubleshooting.
- High levels of interpersonal skills.
- Innovative, creative and imaginative approach to problem management.
- Generally adaptable approach, with ability to work under pressure.
- Willingness to accommodate a wide variety of tasks and duties, not necessarily specified in job descriptions – flexibility to work requirements.
- Self-motivated and able to work with a minimum of supervision.
- Willingness to work additional hours and adopt flexible patterns of work including participation in the Managed Serves on-call rota.
- Sungard Availability Services offers a high growth environment with excellent compensation and immediate eligibility for our 401(k), health/dental insurance, educational assistance, and more. Sungard AS is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
- Ability to meet the physical demands of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the background investigation and pre-employment drug screen.