Title: Manager - Technical Writers
Job Type: Permanent
Location: Philadelphia, PA
The Manager of Technical Writing will join the Sungard Availability Services (AS) Global Product Engineering team during a dynamic and exciting time as we roll out “cloud first” solutions to help customers transform in an ecosystem where always-recoverable and -available environments are mandatory. This person will play a critical leadership role by managing the technical writing team in an agile environment while rolling out best-in-class documentation for internal and external customers. The manager will continue our journey to streamline the documentation process, driving best practices, standards, consistency, repeatability and rapid time-to-delivery among Product Engineering’s worldwide feature teams.
The Manager of Technical Writing will report to the Director of Quality & Engineering Services. In addition to managing the technical writing team, the manager will be responsible for strategic, resource and budget planning, as well as adherence, talent and career management. The manager will hold the team accountable for meeting technical documentation requirements and deadlines. In addition, the manager serves as a resource for other team members and influences the information development strategy for the entire organization. The manager must collaborate with other functional groups to set content delivery goals, track progress and carry out these goals.
- Deliver technical documentation for Product Engineering’s solutions and services for various groups within Sungard AS to consume
- Work with development leaders and feature teams to turn engineering-level documentation into consumable high-quality information that is extremely useful and user-friendly
- Staff, lead, mentor and manage the Technical Writer team
- Ensure that all technical writing processes are consistent, scalable and aligned to the organization’s objectives
- Drive increased efficiency across the teams, eliminating duplication and leveraging existing documentation wherever possible
- Management responsibility for budget, staffing and reporting, including career planning
- Participate in agile/devops rituals, initiatives, products/services/process proof-of-concepts, demos and design reviews to ensure process/operational goals are met
- Participate or drive technical documentation initiatives/methodologies across organizations for corporate consistency
- Create and maintain the information architecture for all current products as well as products scheduled for end-of-life and migration to new solutions
Education, Skills and Experience Requirements:
The ideal experience and critical competencies for the role include:
- Bachelor’s Degree, ideally in Technical Writing, English, Journalism, Communication or a related field of Information Technology
- 12+ years of experience demonstrating a strong understanding of documenting complex products and solutions in an IT services environment
- Outstanding communication skills and the ability to interface with executive management
- Ability to adapt within a rapidly changing environment
- Attention to detail and concern for quality and accuracy of final product
- Excellent project management skills/ability to lead a writing project:
- coordinate the work of other writers
- accurately estimate scope and time
- create and work to deadlines
- take multiple variables (including other functional areas) into account when setting schedules
- Demonstrated team player, self-starter, and independent thinker
- Outstanding decision making and problem-solving skills
- Familiar with continuous integration/continuous delivery concepts
- Affinity for continuous improvement and driving change
- Ability to work and collaborate with multiple cross-site teams
- Intimate knowledge of technical documentation systems, tools, platforms and best practices, with strong proficiency in MS Office Suite, including Visio
???In terms of cultural fit, the successful candidate will be self-motivated and energized by working among a group of thoughtful, smart and successful colleagues. He or she will enjoy being part of an organization focused on excellence and will be a naturally collaborative person who enjoys interacting with individuals at all levels. This candidate will have a passion for technology and innovation, and providing the right information to users so they can derive the most benefit from our products. Additionally, he or she will be a strong team player with a proactive approach and the ability to exercise discretion and judgment.
- Sungard Availability Services offers a high growth environment with excellent compensation and immediate eligibility for our 401(k), health/dental insurance, educational assistance, and more. Sungard AS is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
- Ability to meet the physical demands of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the background investigation and pre-employment drug screen.