Title: Network Engineer II
Job Type: Permanent
Shift: Front End Nights (FEN). Alternating Weeks, Sun-Tue 7:00 pm – 7:00 am and Sun-Wed 7:00 pm – 7:00 am.
The successful candidate will be expected to: Analyze SunGard’s core and LAN and WAN systems to determine existing and available capacity; Prepare reports communicating available capacity to stakeholders; Design and execute capacity and life-cycle augmentation projects; Design and execute lab projects in support of capacity and life-cycle issues and augmentations; Mentor less experienced engineering personnel; and Prepare business proposals in support of capacity and life-cycle augmentation recommendations; Identify root cause for core level crisis events and provide potential short/long term preventive actions in a timely manner using retroactive, reactive, and proactive means.
- You are a hardworking, team orientated type that is driven to deliver an excellent customer experience.
- Proven track record of resolving customers network technology issues.
- Analyze Core Local and Wide Area Networks to determine possible faults.
- Perform technical network investigations for assigned ITIL Problems. This involves layer 1-3 issues in a state of the art MPLS based IP backbone, Core switches and DNS.
- Escalate Problems to external vendors as required.
- Identify root causes and suggest work-arounds were applicable.
- Perform proactive analysis and investigations to determine potential network Problems in customer environments.
- Participate in departmental process/procedures development.
- Investigate network problems to determined root cause and provide potential short/ long-term solutions to avoid reoccurrences.
- Mentor less experienced engineering and technical personnel.
- Maintain technical expertise, required industry certifications, and stay current with new and emerging networking technologies.
- Manage special projects as required.
- This position requires an individual that is able to manage multiple incidents in a fast-paced environment.
- Proof of US Citizenship
- Minimum five years industry experience in a design and engineering role in a large enterprise or service provider environment with the installation and support of a large IP network.
- Extensive working knowledge of routing protocols including BGP4, OSPF, ISIS and knowledge of the Internet concepts and routing architectures is required.
- Extensive working knowledge of spanning tree and layer two switching concepts is required.
- Working knowledge of load balancing technologies, firewalls and DNS is required
- Extensive working knowledge of Cisco IOS is required.
- Working knowledge of Juniper Routers and JUNOS software is required.
- CCNP, CCIE or other equivalent certifications is preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of data communication concepts and technologies is required.
- Ability to effectively use diagnostic tools is required.
- Ability to effectively work in a team environment, as well as, independently is required.
- Good organizational, time management and service delivery skills are required.
- Effective written and oral communication skills are required.
- Strong computer skills and proficiency in productivity tools are required.
- College Degree preferred but will consider applicants with equivalent work-related experience with a minimum educational requirement of a High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Sungard Availability Services offers a high growth environment with excellent compensation and immediate eligibility for our 401(k), health/dental insurance, educational assistance, and more. Sungard AS is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
- Ability to meet the physical demands of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the background investigation and pre-employment drug screen.