Title : Platform Lead - Systems
Years of experience : 8 - 11 years
Job Description :
The engineer is responsible to Review the procedures to become familiar with the client’s recovery methodology and timeline. He will be the working on technical issues during our execution of customer’s recovery scripts used to recover their operating system, applications and data.
Primary responsibilities involve test support and troubleshooting for Managed Recovery Program. This includes, but is not limited to, direct customer interaction, taking and receiving escalations from customers and technical specialists, determining steps for problem resolution, and performing quality control checks on Technical specialists. Secondary responsibilities include pre-test conference call participation such as attending briefings, reviewing client’s recovery methodology, understanding the client’s objectives and demonstrating such, creating hardware configuration documents and obtaining client’s desired hardware configurations for each scheduled server.
Operating System(s)/Application Software Supported:
Provide proficient support in at least 2 of the Intel Based Operating Systems listed below. Work with and gain knowledge of at least “one” virtualization product/utility below. Provide proficient support for at least “one” imaging application/utility listed below
• Intel Based Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows
• Imaging Application: Recovery Automation, Symantec Ghost and PlateSpin.
• Intel/AMD/Itanium Servers (ISS): HP, Dell, IBM, including blade servers.
• Fiber Channel – DCFM, Brocade
• Server firmware updates and compatibility.
• Assist with hardware troubleshooting diagnosis and repairs, swapping memory and/or I/O adapters on selected servers.
Primary responsibilities (75%):
Test Support and Troubleshooting for Managed Recovery Program:
• Direct customer interaction
• Working on technical issues during our execution of customer’s recovery scripts used to recover their operating system, applications and data.
• Taking escalations from Technical Specialists, Engineers and/or contractors - following basic troubleshooting steps to take issue from problem determination to resolution, including best practices for future testing.
• Engaging customer and/or vendors and/or peers to assist in troubleshooting when needed.
• Perform quality control checks on Technical Specialists, Engineers and/or contractors.
• Validate that documentation/reporting per host, application and script are accurate and reflect the related technical ownership per shift.
• Flex schedule to provide off-hours test coverage for MRP testing.
• Following escalation path to ensure both the Management escalations and customer escalation occur.
Secondary responsibilities (25%):
Pre-test Conference Call Participation:
Queue Management, Managing Ticket Reports, Lead Platform related initiatives
• Attend pre test briefing presented by the Test Lead.
• Review the procedures to become familiar with the client’s recovery methodology.
• Understand the client’s objectives, and definition of success
• Create hardware configuration documents (server prep matrix).
• Obtain desired hardware configurations for each scheduled server.
Setup Hardware Configurations for Pending/Scheduled Recoveries:
• Install operating system(s) (sysprep image).
• Connect required disk and tape libraries/drives by patching and/or SAN zone setup.
• Storage Area Network(SAN) - zone the respective hardware as required.
• Configure Raid protection – internal storage.
• Test/validate hardware and library robotics, drives.
• Assign VLAN(s) and patch network connectivity.
Standard Recovery Support:
• Direct customer interaction.
• Support recovery to dissimilar hardware.
• Provide first level technical support to subscribers during recovery testing or in a disaster.
• Troubleshoot any problems with infrastructure, systems, servers, peripheral hardware, operating systems and layer 1 network problems as required.
Product: Standby Operating System (SOS) & Imaging Applications:
• Utilize Jump-Start to deploy Flash Archive images.
• Utilize Jump-Start to validate Customer Flash Archive images
• Utilize Recovery Automation or Symantec Ghost to deploy Microsoft Windows operating system images.
• Utilize Kickstart utility to deploy operating system images in a Linux environment.