Job Description -
System Engineer III is a senior staff position that is responsible for creatively and
systematically improving our development, deployment, and production support processes. You are a good communicator and know how to establish transparent, trusting relationships across the company to achieve results. You recognize the value of internal and external customers as well as tools and process, and have a passion for bringing development and operations together.
Most days, you will be designing and implementing automation and process improvement projects for the products we support. You will be working closely with the development, QA and operations teams to ensure we deliver repeatable, high quality products into the QA, UAT, and Production environments.
When customer issues do come in, you are the customer's advocate. You respond promptly, triage the issue and keep the customer informed of the status. If the issue is systemic, you will document root cause, present the problem to the development and QA teams, and communicate the resolution back to
Major chunk of your time will go following activities
- Install, configure, test and maintain operating systems, application software and system management tools
- Proactively ensure the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability
- Monitor and test application performance for potential bottlenecks, identify possible solutions, and work with developers to implement those fixes
- Maintain security, backup, and redundancy strategies
- Write and maintain custom scripts to increase system efficiency and lower the human intervention time on any tasks
- Participate in the design of information and operational support systems
Desired Skills and Experience
System Engineer III positions require at least 5-7 years of experience in the following:
? Proven working experience in installing, configuring and troubleshooting, tools and automation development (Python, Java, bash, PowerShell).
? Linux (RHEL 5.x/CentOS 5.x, RHEL 6.x/CentOS 6.x, Fedora) and Windows administration, support, monitoring, and system tuning.
? Comfortable working with supporting systems (Service Now, JIRA, GIT, SVN, Confluence).
? Experience with development processes using Agile, Scrum, and/or Kanban.
- Experience with virtualization and containerization (e.g., VMware, Virtual Box)
- Experience with working on monitoring systems(e.g Nagios, Zenoss, HP tools)
? Experience with SaltStack, Maven, Bamboo, and Nexus, are big pluses.
- Nice to have experience with at least one automation software (e.g., Puppet, cfengine, Chef)
- Nice to have, networking knowledge (OSI network layers, TCP/IP)