The Sr. Director of Corporate Accounting is responsible for integrity and controls around general ledger accounting as a source for the preparation of all external financial statements and compliance reporting. Reporting to the Assistant Controller, the Senior Director will also lead the areas of cost and contract accounting. This position will also assist in the preparation and review of the financial statements MD&A as well as other filings, as necessary (144A, etc.).
More specific responsibilities include:
- Understand the implications of changes to the Company’s financial statements and general ledger and the interrelationships of various accounting and reporting systems.
- Manage and perform accounting research and technical compliance research. Thoroughly research and document all accounting principles and procedural recommendations while assisting in resolving financial issues.
- Implement accounting policies, procedures and systems as required, and ensure internal control procedures are adequate, properly documented and regularly reviewed. Establish and enhance good accounting processes and controls.
- Manage the preparation and review of monthly reporting information for senior management, the Board of Directors, and Investors.
- Directly oversee contract accounting relating to software and consulting lines of business.
- Manage the budgeting and approval of capital in North America which includes the preparation and presentation of capital spend reporting to Executive management.
- Manage documentation of internal controls over the financial reporting process. Ensure compliance with policies and procedures and identify opportunities to enhance existing procedures to improve control, measurement and/or productivity.
- Support the General Accounting, Tax, Treasury and Investor Relations groups as needed.
- Manage direct report and grow team as warranted. Motivate and reinforce teamwork. Attract, develop and retain competent and committed staff. Establish clear performance objectives for each direct report.
- Complete all special projects as needs arise.
In addition to the necessary skills and experience to perform the responsibilities outlined above, there are a number of traits that a successful candidate will possess.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting and a CPA are required.
- Approximately 10-15 years of accounting experience;
- Strong technical knowledge of accounting principles, financial disclosure requirements and techniques, including SEC rules and regulations.
- Extensive experience in the preparation and presentation of financial statements under guidelines established by the SEC and GAAP, including a solid foundation of the financial statement close processes.
- Familiar with revenue recognition and lease accounting standard preferred.
- Strong understanding of an effective and efficient internal control environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with all levels of the organization.
- Self-starting personality; ability to prioritize and manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously; ability to work independently and make decisions.
- Ability and inclination to roll up sleeves and dig in. Dependence on and confidence in own abilities to get things done.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment that is rapidly changing.
- Very strong drive, dedication and work ethic.
- Able to meet tight deadlines on multiple priorities.
- Extremely team-oriented with the ability to contribute in a fast-paced and rapidly-changing environment. Strong people management and conflict management skills.
- Strong organization and problem-solving skills.
- Detail-oriented, process-oriented, control-oriented.
- Highest level of integrity.
The Director of External Reporting position offers the right candidate an exciting and challenging opportunity. The company’s accounting and finance department is staffed by an impressive group of bright, hard-working professionals, led by a highly accomplished executive leadership team. The Director of External Reporting will be a very visible and impactful member of the organization and will have the opportunity to work directly with the senior management team.
- Sungard Availability Services offers a high growth environment with excellent compensation and immediate eligibility for our 401(k), health/dental insurance, educational assistance, and more. Sungard AS is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
- Ability to meet the physical demands of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the background investigation and pre-employment drug screen.